Being publicly humiliated over and over again at a young age was excruciatingly painful but it forced me to devalue the ridiculous notion of minute by minute,ever fluctuating social relevance and likability.
在年轻的时候,我被一次又一次公开羞辱,这非常痛苦,但迫使我对分秒必争、不断波动的社会相关性和友好度的荒谬概念逐渐淡然。
Getting canceled on the internet and nearly losing my career gave me an excellent knowledge of all the types of wine.
那次网暴几乎断送了我的职业生涯,但我也因此成为了一位出色的鉴酒师。
I know I sound like a consummate optimist,but I'm really not.
我知道我听起来像是一个完美的乐观主义者,但我真的不是。
I lose perspective all the time.
我总是失去方向。
Sometimes everything just feels completely pointless.
有时一切都感觉完全没有意义。
I know the pressure of living your life through the lens of perfectionism.
我知道通过完美主义的视角生活的压力。
And I know that I'm talking to a group of perfectionists because you are here today graduating from NYU.
因为今天大家从纽约大学毕业,所以我知道我在和一群完美主义者谈话。
And so this may be hard for you to hear: In your life,you will inevitably misspeak,trust the wrong people,under-react,overreact,hurt the people who didn't deserve it,overthink,not think at all,self-sabotage,create a reality where only your experience exists,ruin perfectly good moments for yourself and others,deny any wrongdoing,not take the steps to make it right,feel very guilty,let the guilt eat at you,hit rock bottom,finally address the pain you caused,try to do better next time,rinse,repeat.
因此,这些话可能很少听到:在我们的生活中可能不可避免地说错话、相信错误的人、可能反应不足、反应过度、伤害到不应当被伤害的人、自我内耗、完全不顾及任何、自我伤害,创造经验存在的现实、破坏自己和别人的完美时刻、否认任何错误的行为,不采取步骤使其正确,感到非常内疚、让内疚侵蚀自己并跌入谷底,最终解决自己造成的痛苦,尝试希望下次做得好一些,辩解之后重蹈覆辙。
And I'm not gonna lie,these mistakes will cause you to lose things.
我没撒谎,这些错误会导致你失去一些东西。
I&39;t just mean losing.
A lot of the time,when we lose things,we gain things too.
我想告诉大家,失去并不是真正意味着失去。很多时候,当我们失去的同时也会收获。
Now you leave the structure and framework of school and chart your own path.
现在你离开了学校的条条框框,规划自己的道路。
你的每一个选择都会让下一个选择接踵而至下,我知道有时很难知道该走哪条路。
There will be times in life when you need to stand up for yourself.
生活中的一些时候需要为自己站出来。
当正确的事情是退缩和道歉的时候,当正确的事情是抗争的时候,当正确的事情是转身就跑的时候。
Times to hold on with all you have and times to let go with grace.
我们有的时候要全力以赴地坚持,有的时候要优雅地放手。
Sometimes the right thing to do is to throw out the old schools of thought in the name of progress and reform.
有时正确的做法是以进步和改革的名义抛弃旧的思想流派。
有时正确的做法是听取前人的智慧。
How will you know what the right choice is in these crucial moments? You won't.
在这些关键时刻,选择正确的方法是让我们左右为难的。
How do I give advice to this many people about their life choices?
我该怎么给这么多人的人生选择提供建议呢?
I won't.
我不会的。
Scary news is: you're on your own now.
坏消息是:你现在要靠自己了。
Cool news is: You're on your own now.
好消息是:你现在要靠自己了。
I leave you with this: We are led by our gut instincts,our intuition,our desires and fears,our scars and our dreams.
我们被我们的内心深处的直觉、欲望、恐惧、伤疤和梦想所引导。
有时你可能会搞砸一切,我也是。当我沦落如此时,会在互联网上到处传播。
Anyway…hard things will happen to us.
困难的事情会发生在我们身上。
We will recover. We will learn from it. We will grow more resilient because of it.
我们将从中走出,我们将从中吸取教训。我们会因此而变得更有韧性。
As long as we are fortunate enough to be breathing,we will breathe in,breathe through,breathe deep,breathe out.
只要我们有幸还在呼吸,我们就会吸气、呼气、深呼吸、呼气。
And I'm a doctor now,so I know how breathing works.
我现在怎么说也算是一名博士了,呼吸这种事情我还是会的。
I hope you know how proud I am to share this day with you.
我希望你知道我有多骄傲能与你分享这一天。
We're doing this together.
我们在一起做这件事。
So let&39;re…the class of 22.
所以,让我们继续跳舞,就像我们是22届的学生。